ALFI is run entirely by volunteers for the local community.
Why join in?
- Make new friends
- Learn how to grow fruit and vegetables; beginners welcome
- Get some healthy exercise in the fresh air
- See food germinate and grow
- Get involved in something that is in your community
- Support local food
- Show your children where food comes from
What you can do
- Gardening, e.g. sowing, planting, weeding, digging,
watering, tending, tidying …. and finally – harvesting!
- Construction, e.g. raised beds, new noticeboards, setting up
- Helping with organising or administration
- School liaison
- Publicity, e.g. posters, articles for local newspaper or quarterly newsletter, taking photos
- Liaison with other community organisations
- Simply being a supporter receiving a free quarterly newsletter and attending or helping out at our regular events when you can.
It is up to you how much you get involved. We have a committee but you don’t need to be a committee member to help us (and most of the volunteer gardeners are not committee members).
How to join
There is no cost to joining.
You can come along to one of the regular monthly working parties at our plots: Westbrooke, the Station or the Vicarage. See our working party calendar for dates and times.
Usually the first Friday of the month
Usually the first Sunday of the month
Usually the last Sunday of the month
As well as our regular public events, we also have occasional informal social events where you can meet other volunteers.
Fill in the Contacts form if you want to be a supporter and receive a newsletter or want to be a volunteer gardener or help in some other way/have any other queries.
Receive the Newsletter
Sign up to receive our quarterly newsletter, with occasional notifications of additional ALFI events.