Spring is on the way, time to think about all things growing and gardening in Alton.
Alton Local Food Initiative (ALFI) looks after eleven plots and planters around the town. As an entirely voluntary organisation ALFI has been sustained by dozens of volunteers over its ten years. As people move on, new volunteers are always needed. It is a great way of meeting people and learning about growing vegetables in friendly surroundings.
The Alton Allotment Association has a committee that would love more people to consider taking on an allotment and we know that there are several empty plots on sites.
The Alton Horticultural Society is also looking for new members to join them. They meet in the Community Centre nine times a year and have a varied programme of talks and events.
The three groups are getting together for Grow Alton, a free drop-in event at the Assembly Rooms on Saturday 30th March from 11am to 3pm.
- Come and find out what we each do
- Get some ideas and advice
- Collect discount vouchers from local garden centres
- Swap some seeds, or pick some up for a donation
- Take your pick of 2nd hand gardening tools and books
- Bring your gardening tools for sharpening
- Learn about composting, how to save water in the garden and about local garden events
- Join in children’s activities
Whether you have a single window box, pocket-handkerchief of a garden or an abundant allotment – come and be inspired to Grow Alton in 2019.
Refreshments will be available.
Find out more about:
Alton Allotment Association [http://altonallotments.co.uk]
Alton Local Food Initiative [https://altonlocalfood.org.uk]
Alton Horticultural Society [http://altonhorticulturalsociety.org.uk]